Articles Posted in Fire & Burn Injuries

by

Chrysler is gearing up to recall approximately 1.6 million Jeep Grand Cherokees and Jeep Libertys in an attempt to lower the risk of fires caused by read-end collisions. The recall is expected to come after the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration asserted that the Chrysler Jeep vehicles were more likely than other vehicles to catch on fire when struck from the rear. The NHTSA contends that the gas tanks on these vehicles are directly behind the rear axle, causing them to be more exposed to rear-impact collisions.
Despite denying the NHTSA’s allegations, Chrysler will recall the Jeep vehicles in order to install trailer hitches, which it hopes will protect fuel tanks and thus lower the chance of fires. The recall will affect 1993-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokees and 2002-2007 Jeep Liberty SUVs. Chrysler plans to notify the owners of these vehicles by sending letters.
Still, many consumer groups doubt how effective a trailer hitch will be at reducing the risk of fires. Many doubts stem from the testimony of Chrysler’s previous vice president for engineering, Francois J. Castaing, who stated during a wrongful death suit involving a Grand Cherokee rear impact fire that a trailer hitch would not protect the tank from fire.

While companies do not intentionally manufacture defective products in terms of its design, manufacturing flaws, and/or inadequate warnings, such incidents do occur. This can be a result of a manufacturer’s negligence or recklessness. If an individual is injured or killed due to such a product defect, the product’s manufacturer and/or seller may be held liable for the injuries suffered.

Even if a product has not been recalled, consumers still have the capability to bring a legal action for any injuries suffered due to a defective product as long as the defect is due to a manufacturing error, defective design, or inadequate warnings and/or directions.

Bahe, Cook, Cantley & Nefzger is currently reviewing and accepting these cases.

The Consumer Products Safety Commission reannounced the recall of around 795,000 Sears Kenmore brand dehumidifiers. The hazard is that they can overheat, melt and catch fire resulting in injuries and property damage.

The remedy is to immediately stop using the product and return it for a refund. More info about the recall can be found at the CPSC’s website here.

Newport Fire Officials are reporting that a natural gas explosion started a fire that completely destroyed a home in northern Kentucky early Friday morning. Debri and various pieces of the home were scattered across the street and stuck in nearby trees. The only things left were the foundation and the chimney. The neighboring homes did not appear to have any damage.

Three people were in the house at the time of the fire, which broke out around 4:30 a.m. Two of them were taken to University Hospital in Cincinnati to be treated for injuries. One was listed in critical condition.

MI0001481941.jpg

Bose Corporation, a company whose products are recognized as the gold standard in electronics, has issued a recall of its Dual-Voltage CineMate II Home Theater Speaker System. The specific models are the CineMate Series II and CineMate GS Series II with product ID nos. 051365, 051470 or 057971.

The concern is that the bass module can fail and ignite. More information on the recall can be found here.

A flash fire broke out where workers were repairing the damaged tracks caused by the train derailment that occurred earlier this week. A firefighter reported that the workers were using a cutting torch when “the arc flashed” and caused a spark that ignited butadiene vapors from one of the cars. Five workers were injured, but two suffered only minor injuries. The other three sustained severe second and third degree burns, leaving one in very critical condition, another in critical condition and the third in serious condition.

An evacuation was ordered for all those living within 1.2 miles of the fire. A “code red alert” was also issued to anyone within a 5 mile radius of the fire. This means that they were asked to stay inside their homes and businesses, close all windows and keep pets inside.

The fire is under control but is still burning as of this morning. Officials stated that the fire must burn itself out because putting water on the vapors could be dangerous and toxic to surrounding soil.

On September 12, 2012, an apartment fire at the Churchill Park Apartments located at 7218 Hill Park Way sent three to the hospital, including a Louisville Metro police officer and a one-month old baby. A resident of the apartment complex, JoAnn Simpson, said she heard a loud boom just before the fire broke out in a first-floor apartment.

Simpson and her husband were trapped inside their apartment until they were rescued by another resident, Tyler Dixon, and his friend, Eric Durbin. Durbin also hopped a fence to get a ladder to rescue another resident from her second-floor apartment.

The Louisville Metro police officer was the first to arrive on scene and suffered smoke inhalation while trying to warn residents of the apartment complex. The officer was transported to Baptist Hospital East, but his condition was not immediately known. The McMahan fire department was the lead agency fighting the fire and was assisted by firefighters from St. Matthews, Jeffersontown and Lyndon.

The one-month old baby was also taken to Baptist East Hospital as a precaution but appeared to be doing fine. One other person was taken to the hospital as a result of the fire.
The fire caused significant damage to several apartments and eight to ten families will be displaced due to the damage. Simpson stated that she and her husband “lost everything we had.”

The United States Consumer Product Safety Commission (“CPSC”) has issued numerous recalls for heaters that are used in the home. As we enter colder weather and start using these devices to heat our homes, consumers should be up-to-date and aware of any potential hazards that a recalled heater might pose.

A list of the the heaters, with model numbers and pictures, are listed at the CPSC’s website here. Many of the heaters have been recalled in years past, but it is important to double-check the list if you use a similar product in your home. Many of the recalled models pose electrical and fire hazards so be sure to check and make sure your family is safe this winter.

Two people were killed Sunday by an apartment fire in the Portland neighborhood. The fire occurred on the 300 block of North 24th Street. Two dozen firefighters responded to the blaze and had it under control in about ten minutes. However, the firefighters found two persons dead inside the apartment. Reports indicate that the ceiling had collapsed in on the victims.

The bodies of two dead people have been found in a single story apartment in the Portland neighborhood of Louisville earlier this evening. The fire happened on the 300 block of North 24th street at about 6:25 p.m. Neighbors report that an elderly couple lived in the apartment, but the identities of the two bodies are not yet known. However, a neighbor who bravely attempted to enter the apartment and search for anyone inside told police that he had seen the elderly gentleman who lived in the apartment return home about ten minutes before the fire started. Leonard apparently risked his own life in an attempt to get into the building and saw what appeared to be a man burning on the floor, but was unable to save him.

Apartment fires, whether they are in single story units or massive, multi-story complexes often involve similar legal issues. This seems to be a sad outcome as it is usually easier for residents of one and even two story complexes to get to safety when compared to apartments with many more stories. However, every fire behaves differently and the size of the structure is only one of many factors to consider in determining the cause and preventability of fire deaths. To find out more about the legal issues involved in apartment complex fires see our earlier posts here, here and here. Attorney Brian D. Cook at Bahe Cook Canltey & Jones PLC would be happy to answer any questions you might have about the legal aspects of apartment fires.

LG Electronics, along with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, announced a voluntary recall of 98,000 portable dehumidifiers due to a fire hazard. The recall, announced last week, will affect the Goldstar and Comfort-Aire models, UPI.com reports.

The dehumidifiers have power connectors that can short circuit. For fires involving the dehumidifiers have been reported. The recall affects Goldstar model nos. GHD30Y7 and DH305Y7 as well as Comfort-Aire model no. BHD-301-C. The various models were sold during 2007 and 2008 at Home Depot, Walmart, and Heat Controller Inc. stores.

Owners of the recalled products have been advised to stop using them and contact LG for a free repair. For more information, contact 877-220-0479.

If you or someone you know has suffered damage due to a dehumidifier-caused fire, you may want to discuss your case with a products liability attorney. To consult with Shawn Cantley about these issues: Shawn’s Mail