Duke Lacrosse Case Finally Comes To A Resolution
In a case that has lasted for long past the time one would normally spend in college, thirty-eight (38) former Duke University lacrosse players ended a 2008 lawsuit alleging the institution lent its credibility to rape allegations against three other team members who were later vindicated.
An agreement to drop the case against the university, President Richard Brodhead and other officials was filed Feb. 27 in federal court in Durham, North Carolina. That document referenced a Feb. 20 accord that doesn’t appear on the court’s electronic docket.
“My clients settled their lawsuit with Duke,” a representative for the players said in a telephone interview. The terms are confidential, he said.
Michael J. Schoenfeld, a spokesman for the university, said yesterday the case had been resolved. In a phone interview, he too declined to elaborate on the resolution.
The prosecution of players David Evans, Collin Finnerty and Reade Seligmann began in 2006 with a stripper’s claim she had been attacked after dancing at a team party.
State prosecutors took over the case in 2007 after the original prosecutor, Michael Nifong, was accused of unethical behavior during the investigation. Charges against the players were later dropped and Nifong was disbarred.
The accused players filed a separate lawsuit against the school in 2007.
The 38 settling players will continue to press claims against the city of Durham, public officials and police for“inappropriate and illegal conduct,” Thompson said today.
If any readers are interested in reading the details the case is Carrington v. Duke University, 08-cv-119, U.S. District Court, Middle District of North Carolina (Durham).